Saturday, January 18, 2014

Welcome to Nairobi!

I've finally arrived in Nairobi! After about 48 hours of traveling we made it to the St. Lawrence University compound in Karen, a suburb of Nairobi. Immediately leaving the airport, we passed one of the national parks, and believe it or not, saw several giraffes in the distance. It was an exciting drive from the airport to the compound, and it was great to finally see the place I had been imagining for so long. The compound is much larger than I had thought, about 5 acres, and is beautiful and green with many different kinds of plants including macadamia and avocado trees. We had a short orientation session today where we learned about the schedule for the next few days and got a tour of the different buildings on the compound. Most of the day was spent relaxing and getting associated with the area but in the afternoon we all got together for yoga led by a local instructor, which was a great way to rejuvenate and get rid of all my travel aches and pains. I'm very much looking forward to a good night's sleep and will post pictures of my new home soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment