Friday, April 26, 2013

Thai Dance Performance

Today was the big performance for our Thai dance class. First, we had our hair and makeup done by some Thai students and got into our traditional Thai dance costumes. I don't think I've ever had so much makeup on in my life. Once we were ready, we joined a large group of others at the university for a short parade to the performance site. We were the first performance of the ceremony so I didn't even have time to get nervous before we began dancing. I'd guess there were about 300 people there. The ceremony was to celebrate the new year and to bless the students for the next school year. After our performance we got to watch some other Thai festivities. One that I really enjoyed was a tall bamboo stalk, about 25 feet tall, with 200 baht (around $7) at the top. Groups of students attempted to stack on top of one another to get to the top and grab the money. However, the bamboo was greased with vegetable oil, which obviously caused some difficulty.

Here are some photos of the day. I believe someone took a video of our dance and I'll be sure to post that once I find it.

all the girls



Kimberly, Tammy, me and Tara

Emily and I getting our makeup done

my Japanese roommate, Honoka, and me

hair and makeup










No comments:

Post a Comment