Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Checking out Chiang Mai

This being my first week of classes I have finally gotten into a more regular schedule and have been able to check out more of Chiang Mai. On Tuesday a few of us went to the Chiang Mai Zoo & Aquarium, presenting our Payap IDs to get a discounted ticket. There were lots of different animals at the zoo, and we had some cool experiences getting pretty close to some birds and even elephants. The aquarium was my favorite part. The Chiang Mai aquarium says they have the largest tunnel in the world, and it was the first aquarium tunnel I've walked through so it was a pretty amazing to feel like you are in the water with all the fish.

Today after classes we went to the market to get a few things. I needed a new uniform top since I dyed mine pink when washing a new red top I bought in Nepal. Needless to say I've been modeling some pretty funky tie dye lately. After some shopping we found our favorite dessert (thus far) at the market which is sticky rice, fresh mangos, and coconut milk. It's delicious! Then we did some exploring around the market, and stumbled upon some antique stores. I didn't have my camera with me, so I settled for iPhone photos, but I definitely had to document it to make sure my dad believes I did some antiquing in Thailand! We also stumbled on a beautiful temple that we walked through on our way back to campus. After a quick bite to eat a few of us went to the Chiang Mai Rock Climbing Adventures places to see a presentation on a couple that had spent 97 days trekking in the Himalayas of Nepal. It was pretty cool to hear them talk about their adventure as well as see some pictures of temples and places that I had recently visited.

the tunnel in the aquarium

giraffes! (thinking of my boy Sean Kelly!)



antique browsing!




No comments:

Post a Comment