Saturday, January 12, 2013

Chiang Mai: Day 1

I landed in Chiang Mai around 11pm last night (Friday) and my bag was the first to come out at baggage claim. I was picked up by a driver from Payap and sat in the back of a small covered truck bed that had two benches inside. I was sitting there by myself absorbing all I could of Chiang Mai in the dark. When I got to Payap I was shown to my room where my roommate Fon was already asleep. (I really like her name because I just think of a young deer) She woke up to greet me and gave me an owl keychain for my room key. She doesn't speak the best English, but I hope that I will be able to help her with her speaking and she can help me learn Thai. I slept warm for the first time in about two weeks! It is nice to not have to sleep in a hat and gloves like I did most nights in Nepal. This morning I spent some time journaling and exploring the international dorm. The floors are separated by sexes and apparently the opposite sex isn't even allowed on the hallway of the other sex. This will take some getting used to since I am used to coed dorms. Natalie (from SLU) and I had lunch together and then this afternoon we will all be taking off for a tour of the city. All is great here! Nice and sunny and I've even broken out my Birkenstocks! This is a first for me in the middle of January.

No comments:

Post a Comment